Family Favorite Waffles
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4-1/2 cup milk (Start with 1/4 cup and add more if you need it.)
Cut shortening into dry ingredients. Beat buttermilk, egg, and milk and whisk into dry ingredients. Cook in waffle iron.
Notes: I usually substitute about 1/2-3/4 cup of the flour with whole wheat flour and no one can tell the difference.
Vanilla Sauce
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
Mix cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Combine milk and egg and gradually stir in. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture comes to a boil. (Don’t be tempted to turn up the heat; if it gets hot too fast, the egg will cook. And scrambled eggs in vanilla sauce would be bad. Really, really bad.) Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
Notes: I usually use one whole egg instead of the yolks. I crack the egg into a small bowl first and pull off those white stringy things. (I think they might be called albumen, but really I have no idea.) Then I beat the egg really well. This works just fine, and I don’t have to waste 2 egg whites. I am cheap thrifty that way.
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4-1/2 cup milk (Start with 1/4 cup and add more if you need it.)
Cut shortening into dry ingredients. Beat buttermilk, egg, and milk and whisk into dry ingredients. Cook in waffle iron.
Notes: I usually substitute about 1/2-3/4 cup of the flour with whole wheat flour and no one can tell the difference.
Vanilla Sauce
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
Mix cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Combine milk and egg and gradually stir in. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture comes to a boil. (Don’t be tempted to turn up the heat; if it gets hot too fast, the egg will cook. And scrambled eggs in vanilla sauce would be bad. Really, really bad.) Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
Notes: I usually use one whole egg instead of the yolks. I crack the egg into a small bowl first and pull off those white stringy things. (I think they might be called albumen, but really I have no idea.) Then I beat the egg really well. This works just fine, and I don’t have to waste 2 egg whites. I am cheap thrifty that way.
Comments